OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
WINNERS MUST BE IN ATTENDANCE AT THE #BLACKBERRY10JNB FAN EVENT IN SANDTON, JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA ON OR AROUND JANUARY 30, 2013 (“EVENT”) TO CLAIM THE DEVICE AND CASE. DEVICES AND CASES WILL NOT BE SHIPPED TO WINNERS. WINNER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR FOOD AND SUBSISTENCE AND ALL OTHER COSTS AND EXPENSES REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE EVENT THAT ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRIZE PACKAGE.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THESE OFFICIAL RULES APPLY TO THE #BLACKBERRY10JNB CONTEST ("CONTEST"), SPONSORED BY RESEARCH IN MOTION UK LIMITED ("SPONSOR"). CONTEST IS ADMINISTERED BY BRAND WIZARD CC TRADING AS IDEA ENGINEERS (“CONTEST ADMINISTRATOR”). BY ENTERING, YOU ARE DEEMED TO HAVE READ, ACCEPTED AND AGREED TO BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES. THIS CONTEST IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED, OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH TWITTER INC. (“TWITTER”).
1. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins at 12:00:01 am South Africa Standard Time (“SAST”) on January 14, 2013 and ends at 11:59:59 pm SAST on January 17, 2013 ("Contest Period").
Employees, contractors, directors and officers of Sponsor, Contest Administrator, their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, sales representatives, retailers and advertising, promotion and judging agencies and all other service agencies and providers involved with the Contest, and members of the immediate family (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and households of each, whether or not related are not eligible to participate or win. Void where prohibited by law.
By entering this Contest, entrants agree to abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and Contest Administrator, which shall be final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest.
2. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, follow @BlackBerry_ZA on Twitter (http://twitter.com/blackberry_ZA). During the Contest Period, tweet @BlackBerry_ZA a ten (10) word story telling us what you are most excited about for BlackBerry 10, and include the hashtag #BlackBerry10JNB (an “Entry”).
All Entries must be tweeted by the entrant him/herself during the Contest Period to be eligible. Entries that are tweeted either before or after the Contest Period are not eligible. There is a limit of ten (10) Entries per person and per Twitter account throughout the Contest Period. Any Entries received by any person or Twitter account in excess of the stated limitation will be void. The use of automated devices or any other mechanism that will circumvent the proper conduct of this Contest, whether intentional or otherwise, is prohibited.
Any entrant who intentionally and/or fraudulently provides incorrect personal data may be eliminated at Sponsor’s discretion. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an Entry, the Entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the Twitter account at the time of entry. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or re-run the Contest and withhold the Prize(s) if, in Sponsor’s reasonable opinion, there are insufficient Entries.
- The Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
- The Entry must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest;
- The Entry must not contain images or artwork not created by entrant;
- The Entry must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Entry must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The Entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where Entry is created.
3. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: At the end of the Contest Period, a panel of qualified Sponsor-selected judges (“Judges”) will evaluate each Entry based on the following equally weighted judging criteria: (i) Creativity; (ii) Relevance; and (iii) Overall impression. Three (3) Entries, as determined by the Judges, will be eligible to receive a Prize. In the event of a tie, the tie breaker will be based upon the highest score in the first judging criterion, continuing thereafter to the next criterion, as needed, to break the tie. The Judges’ decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest without right of appeal. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received and the likelihood of receiving the highest score based on the Judges decision.
The eligible entrants will be informed via Twitter direct message between January 18, 2013 and January 23, 2013. If an entrant is found to not be in compliance with these Official Rules, if prize notification is not responded to within forty-eight (48) hours or any Prize or notification is returned as undeliverable or the entrant is unable to accept the Prize for any reason, the entrant will be disqualified, his/her Prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate entrant at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Before being declared a winner, an entrant may be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release and, where lawful, Publicity Release, prior to delivery of the Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any change of email address, Twitter handle, mailing address and/or telephone number of entrants.
4. PRIZES: There are Three (3) prizes available to be won (each a "Prize"). Each Prize consists of one (1) BlackBerry 10 smartphone, one (1) smartphone case and a trip for the winner and one (1) guest to the #BlackBerry10JNB Fan Event which will take place in Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa on or around January 30, 2013. Actual date will be confirmed by Sponsor prior to the event.
WINNERS MUST BE IN ATTENDANCE AT THE EVENT TO CLAIM THE DEVICE AND CASE. DEVICE AND CASE WILL NOT BE SHIPPED TO WINNERS.
Trip includes return economy airfare for the winner and one (1) guest from the international airport nearest the winners residence in South Africa to Sandton, Johannesburg departing on 30 January 2013 and returning on 31 January 2012, one (1) night standard hotel accommodation (double occupancy) at a hotel selected by Sponsor for the duration of the stay and two (2) passes to the Event. If winner resides close enough to the Event for ground transportation, then Sponsor shall provide ground transportation for the winner and their guest. Mode of transportation is at the sole discretion of Sponsor and winner will not be entitled to any difference in value between different modes of transportation. Sponsor reserves the right to vary the duration of the trip depending on location of winner’s residence and, in such a case, Sponsor will notify winner in advance. Winner will be responsible for all meals, taxes, travel and/or medical insurance, airport improvement fees, gratuities and all personal and other expenses not specifically described above as included in the Reward. Participant is responsible for all costs associated with and obtaining any required travel documentation.
Activation, airtime, service, accessories and any other costs not specifically identified as included in the Prize are the responsibility of each Participant. Sponsor is not responsible for any third-party products or services you may use with the Prize.
Winner’s guest (“Guest”) must be at least 21 years of age and must be accompanied at Event by Winner. Guest will be required to complete, sign and return an Attendance Waiver and Release of Liability form as required by Sponsor before being permitted to enter the Event.
Winner and Guest must comply with all venue security requirements; or Prize may be forfeited in whole or in part. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend or cancel the participation of any Winner or Guest due to noncompliance with any security procedure or inappropriate behavior or misconduct. In such case, Sponsor and Contest Administrator will not be responsible for any costs associated with returning Winner and guest back to winner’s residence or any other expense incurred by Winner or Guest. Sponsor and Contest Administrator will not be responsible for any cancellation or rescheduling of the Event in whole or in part. If any portion of the Event is delayed, postponed or cancelled for any reason, in whole or in part, alternate arrangements will be made for delivery of the Device and case. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen tickets.
Winners will receive an email after they have been so declared outlining the time and location of the Event. Prizes are not transferrable and must be accepted as awarded with no substitutions in cash or otherwise, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater monetary value if a Prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason. Winners will be solely responsible for any and all applicable federal, provincial, territorial, state and local taxes and any other costs, expenses and fees associated with accepting and receiving the Prize. In the event any tax withholding is required by law for any Prize, winners authorize Sponsor to make the corresponding deduction.
5. LICENSE TO USE: By entering, each entrant grants to Sponsor an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, transferable license of unlimited right, title and interest in and to his/her Entry, including, but not limited to, all copyright and trademark rights therein and thereto and all renewals and extensions thereof, throughout the universe, in perpetuity, for all purposes, in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised.
6. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, or garbled Entries, emails or tweets or for any incorrect or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error or fraud, which may occur in the processing of the Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for computer system, phone line, hardware, software, cable, satellite, Internet Service Provider (ISP) or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures or delays in computer transmissions or network connections. Sponsor is not responsible for any errors whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to, or in connection with, the Contest including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of Entries, views, postings and/or shares (as applicable), the announcement of the Prizes, or in any Contest-related materials. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual and void his or her Entry(ies) who tampers with the entry process.
7. RIGHT TO CANCEL, TERMINATE, MODIFY OR SUSPEND: If for any reason any aspect of this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of computer virus, communications network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failure or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsor, subject to applicable laws, Sponsor may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, or invalidate any affected Entries. In the event the Contest is cancelled or terminated, Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a random draw from among all eligible Entries received up the time of such action. In the event of such an occurrence Sponsor may post a notice on @BlackBerry.
9. RELEASE: By entering, and to the extent permitted by applicable laws, entrants agree: (a) to release Sponsor, Contest Administrator, Twitter, and any third party retained by or on behalf of Sponsor for the purposes of executing and administering the Contest and each of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, distributors, sales representatives, distributors, advertising, promotion and judging agencies and all other service agencies and providers involved with this Contest and each of their officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, "Released Parties") from any and all liability, loss or damage incurred with respect to their participation in the Contest and the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any Prize; and, (b) that under no circumstances will they be permitted to obtain awards for, and they hereby waive all rights to claim, any punitive, incidental, consequential or other damages including, but not limited to attorneys’ fees or other court costs, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
Any waiver of any obligation hereunder by Sponsor does not constitute a general waiver of any obligation to entrants. By submitting an Entry, you agree that your Entry is gratuitous and made without restriction and will not place Sponsor under any obligation, and Sponsor is free to disclose the ideas contained in the Entry, on a non-confidential basis, to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to you. You acknowledge that, by acceptance of your Entry, Sponsor does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees or contractors or obtained from other entrants or sources other than you. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting of any Entry and may remove any Entry at any time.
10. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by, subject to and is to be interpreted, construed and enforced in accordance with the federal, provincial, state, territorial and local laws of England and Wales without regard to conflict of law principles. Any dispute under these Official Rules shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. You irrevocably waive any objection on the grounds of venue, forum non-conveniens or any similar grounds and irrevocably consent to service of process by mail or in any other manner permitted by applicable law and consent to the jurisdiction of the courts of England. You further hereby waive any right to a trial by jury with respect to any lawsuit or judicial proceeding arising or relating to these Official Rules.
AAny provision in these Official Rules which is held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason by any court, governmental department, body or tribunal, or in any applicable jurisdiction shall be ineffective to the extent of such invalidity or unenforceability and will not invalidate or render unenforceable the remaining provisions hereof and should any provision be held invalid or unenforceable in an applicable jurisdiction such provision shall not be invalidated or rendered unenforceable in any other jurisdiction.
11. WINNER LIST: For a list of Winners, send a self-addressed envelope to: #BlackBerry10JNB Contest Idea Engineers, Equity House, Corner 5th Avenue & Rivonia Boulevard, Rivonia, South Africa. All requests for Winner Lists must be received on or before February 11, 2013.
© 2013 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. BlackBerry®, RIM®, Research In Motion® and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.